Friday, October 9, 2009

Getting Rid of Ol' Red



For the first time in 11 years ... I have a new car. Although we had originally planned to"cash for clunker" my 1998 Isuzu Rodeo, we ended up trading him to the dealer. So instead of simply handing over the keys to Red and walking away with a new car ... we actually had to clean him. Bummer. Big bummer actually since most people who know me can attest, I'm perpetually late and well, a bit of a slob.

While cleaning the car, it struck me how even MY CAR has been affected by my diabetes. Using my husband's giant Shop-Vac I found all sorts of diabetic paraphernalia. I found needles, new and used. I found an old meter wedged under the seat, a spare sof-setter, and test strips ... did I ever find used test strips!

Just for fun I decided to count them: 37. Fewer than I anticipated but still more than anyone should have in a car. The problem is that when I test in the car I'm usually feeling bad. What I should do is pull over and test. What I end up doing is trying to balance the blood droplet and meter and perform the test at a red light. There is just enough time for me to prick, dab the strip, see the results, and hit the Act button on my meter before the light turns. In the rush, the used strip often flies into the nether regions of the car and is forgotten.

I remember a few years ago one of the meter companies had a meter where the test strips were in a drum. "Never touch another test strip again" was their triumphant cry. It was a dumb idea because you still had to pull the used strips from the end of the meter once the test was complete. And even though I DO actually throw my strips in the trash, I still seem to find them EVERYWHERE: my house, my car, my pockets and once I even found my cat batting one across the floor.

I've promised my new car, Otto, to be better at keeping him clean. I'll let you know how well I do at keeping this promise in 10 years or so.

1 comment:

  1. I so can relate to this... I constantly find food wrappers in my vehicle... Which means I am probably bad at tracking what I am eating on my Weight Watchers. Especially when I found a giant box of whoppers under my seat... and the first response was Ohhhhhhhh..... Chocolate.

    ReplyDelete