Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Dear John Letter

Dear Diabetes,

You suck and I hate you but ... our current relationship isn't working. I can't be angry anymore. I'm tired. If there was a way to get you to move out and leave ... I would be all for it. Unfortunately, you and I are stuck together forever, and we need to find a way to get along. You are not the enemy, you are just a part of me that is less desirable ... like a wart or a bad haircut.

I can see now that when I go to the doctor, I become angry and defensive about how you and I get along. My anger at the doctor causes me to stop listening, and the result is that I really don't follow their advice. This isn't good for either of us. I want to live a long time and those health professionals are only trying to help me achieve this goal.

So the long and short of it boils down to this ... something has to change. In the past, I guess I've expected the change to come from you. That somehow you would go away or diminish your affect on my life but that's a childish and overly hopeful notion. The change is going to have to come from me, one small step at a time.

So this week I will:
1. write down what I eat
and
2. test before I eat

Baby steps.

The definition of insanity [is] doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

1 comment:

  1. Very proud... love this post... Let me know what I can do to help...

    ReplyDelete